John Gidding on Outdoor Architecture & Furniture:
John showed some of his Before/After projects from his HGTV show, Curb Appeal & Curb Appeal: the Block, as well as some of his custom furniture he's incorporated into his designs. Some VERY cool benches for porches & patios & yes, I'd love to implement MY spin on this. His main tip: Stay true to the architecture of the home, have fun, & don't be afraid of color!
***I had the pleasure of interviewing John at the Milwaukee NARI Fall Home & Garden Show! Here's the radio interview from the CasaVerde radio show & the corresponding article. He's gracious, engaging & incredibly talented as you'll see & hear from the interviews. ***
I had the pleasure of interviewing showroom manager, Stephanie Fishel for a series of minis for the Bante Design youtube channel. Check out Outdoor Fabrics & Outdoor Furniture Trends by clicking on the links. Trends I saw here included:
mixing of materials (rattan, wood & metal, rattan & metal, wood & metal), double chaises are HOT & outdoor furniture imitating its indoor counterparts so that it can be used indoors as well as for outdoor use.
Finally, here are some tips I incorporate for my design clients:
- Treat your outdoor space like any other space in your home. Color, lighting, furniture arrangement & upholstery choices all come into play.
- Landscaping should act as your "walls". Have a privacy issue? Think taller, fuller trees & shrubs...You can also 'create' rooms w/your landscaping as well: private gardens, play areas for the kids and/or pets...
- Lighting is just as important here as indoors. Effective landscape lighting helps create depth to your space when you are looking outside from the indoors, otherwise you get a "black" wall when you look out your window.
- The Power Position also applies here as it does inside. The grill/bbq or main seating area should be placed in this area.
- Your FRONT space should reflect the architectural style of your home (i.e. have a colonial, then you want a more symmetrical & formal...a cottage? You can be a bit more organic), the BACK can be more personalized & fun.