- Clear out all dead plants/flowers, especially away from the house, as this provides shelter for many a critter/pest that can make its way INTO your home as the cold weather approaches
- Make sure your home is properly insulated, caulk around windows & vents
- Make sure that the weather stripping is in good shape around doors/storm doors to prevent drafts
- Get your HVAC system inspected to ensure all is in good working order & change filters
- Make sure that gutters/drains are flowing properly & to help prevent ice dam-s
Alright, you've done an inspection & your home seems good to go, now what about some easy-to-implement design tips for FALL & upcoming holidays of Halloween & Thanksgiving...& as those of you who've followed me & this column, you know that the tips given here will help you make a smooth transition for each event so time & money is kept to a minimum.
To help people change the INSIDE your space:
- Use autumnal colors to replace the summery pastels in your color scheme in any accessories (pillows, throws, curtains, accent rugs/carpet tiles-which is a GREAT way to change up a room!). This includes: gold/bronze, evergreen, deep orange (pumpkin/squash), purples (aubergine), deep earthy reds (brick).
- Flowers (mums are a great choice!), pinecones, "fall" vegetables (gourds, squash), corn stalks for center-pieces or mantel arrangements.
- Heavy textile weight in all textiles for chair cushions or slipcovers on porch/deck.
- Place mirrors at 45 degree angles to windows-that have a GOOD VIEW-to help disperse light in the space
- Use essential oil Environment Sprays in earth/root scents: Ylang Ylang, musks, heavy floras (jasmine)
- Change out pictures/photos of FALL landscapes: harvests, haystacks and/or family pics from FALL, back-to-school time to help lighten the mood
For your front porch/deck:
- Use autumnal colors to replace the summery pastels in your color scheme in any accessories (pillows, throws, curtains, accent rugs/carpet tiles). See above for some color suggestions
- Hay bales, pumpkins, gourds, cornstalks & scarecrows are great ways to set a FALL/Harvest vignette. Even tying some cornstalks to the side columns/railing on the side of the door helps to set the proper mood.
- Hanging baskets or containers of mums is the perfect fall flower choice
- Change out your Welcome mat at each door to reflect the changing season-this is a super simple & inexpensive way to "decorate" for the season/holidays
I also got to contribute to an article from SheKnows.com called Update Your Home for Fall. Check it out!
This topic was SO popular, I devoted an episode of DeAnna on Design to this. Watch for a follow-up coming soon. If you missed the episode, here it is Stairs: an Under-Utilized Space.
The Fall Equinox is Saturday, September 22 at 8:49 AM Mountain Daylight Time.
This is a good opportunity to do a ritual or ceremony to honor something you are changing and releasing; Something that comes from an old pattern from the past that still triggers and runs you. Choose something that you have been working on this month, something that has triggered you and sent you into reaction and work with it. It should also be something that you have identified as being in the way of moving forward and taking action. Ritualize it or symbolize it through writing or drawing, or choose an object to represent it; burn, bury or destroy it, and then most importantly allow a new vision, energy and intention to fill you up. It is powerful to do something like this in a group, but at the least, do it yourself.
This is a powerful time of transition. Not only are we on the heels of the Pluto/Uranus conjunction, but many other astrological influences are forcing change. It is truly a powerful time. and you can either go kicking and screaming or you can enjoy the process. We suggest you enjoy it and be amused at the outrageousness of the times, the behavior, the opportunities and the challenges!
Alright friends...a BIG shout-out to all the new tribe members & wonderful commentors from across the pond in the Land Down Under! Thank you!!! Keep the comments coming. And if there's a topic you'd like me to address regarding design & your health, feng shui, color or clutter-busting...let us know! Happ Fall!!! DeAnna :)